Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Binge Blogging

My apologies for being so bad about updating recently. Here's an update since the last time I wrote:


1. Obama ("not Osama" jajaja)

Despite being several thousand miles away, I still got to follow election night on CNN Mundo. Working in the areas of homelessness and Social Security have made me pretty cynical about the federal government, but watching Obama's acceptance speech in Chicago I couldn't help but feel at least some sense of hope, even in light of the economic crisis and all the other problems this government will inherit.

All the Peruvians I've talked to are really happy that Obama won, largely because he's not Bush and partly because they are excited to see a person of color as the President of the US (a bus driver pointed out to me that for the first time a US President looks more like him than me). Still, after singing the praises of "el moreno" there's usually some joke made about how his name is pretty close to Osama.


2. Lunahuana

My roommate Utpal and I had gotten pretty close to the doorman of our building, Don Martin, and almost every time we'd talked to him, he'd mentioned his hometown of Lunahuana where "the sun is always shining, wine flows like water, and people live practically forever". Because it was Utpal's last day here, and because we wanted to see what this "paraiso" was really like, we took a trip there with Don Martin in early November. We were accompanied by his father, who despite being 95 came down the night before to visit Don Martin in Lima on his own. As we waited for the bus, Don Martin told me that his father recently had a physical and the doctor told him he had the prostate of a 20 year old. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that Don Martin has 9 siblings.

After a two-hour bus ride, we arrived in Lunahuana to find that Don Martin really hadn't been exagerrating much. The sun was shining as promised, and there were acres and acres of grape vinyards along the riverbanks. We also learned that several of the residents were over 100 years old. After eating breakfast with Don Martin and his father, we went to visit the town's colonial church and cemetary and Don Martin's father embarked on a two-mile walk to his house. We eventually met him there and were greeted with large bottles of sweet wine and pisco (a grape brandy that is one of Peru's most popular drinks). We sat around in a circle with Don Martin, his father, his brother, and one of his ancient neighbors and passed around the wine and pisco. The custom is to pass the bottle and a small glass, drink from the glass, shake it out over the ground (for hygiene purposes) and pass it on to the next person. Apparently another part of the custom is to do this until you have finished everything, which I learned after taking several sizable portions early on. After a while, the older folks dropped out of the circle, and then the pisco stopped burning and my Spanish started improving (or at least it seemed so) and when it came time to go we staggered off to the bus stop and slept soundly all the way to Lima.

When I saw Don Martin the next morning he started laughing and asked me if I liked the pisco, and then we started planning our next trip to Lunahuana for the grape harvest in January.



3. Huaraz

Lima hosted the APEC conference (a gathering of American and Pacific presidents) a few blocks from my apartment in mid-November and the government decided to declare a city holiday on the Thursday and Friday of the conference. My roommate Ariel I took the opportunity to travel to Huaraz, an Andean City about 8 hours from Lima. We were a bit worried when we arrived at the bus station and found that there was no power there, but we made our way by candlelight and the bus actually left on time without a problem (though we were a bit unnerved by the "customary security practice" of videotaping all the passenger's faces at the beginning of the trip).


Huaraz is easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever been (I'll post pictures as soon as Ariel's computer gets fixed). It lies at about 10,000 feet is is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and lush green hills under one of the bluest skies I've ever seen. This was a welcome change from Lima, where the cloud coverage and pollution conspire to block out the sky 90% of the time. Ariel and I spent our first day walking around the city and visiting the pre-Incan ruins of the Wari people. On day number two we got up at dawn to go on a hike at the national park. Ascending from 10,000 to 15,000 feet was seriously tiring but definitely worth it, walking in the shadow of some of the highest mountains in South America, passing through fields of grazing cows, and hiking by lakes that are so blue they don't look real (again, I'll put the pictures up as soon as I can). Day number 3 we went to a local restaurant and ate 2 classic Andean dishes: pachamanca (a mix of meats, pototoes, and spices cooked by burying the ingredients in the ground with hot coals) and cuy (guinea pig). People from the US ask me how I could eat guinea pig after owning one as a pet. For one, they taste pretty good and also, that was probably the most annoying pet I've ever had. I think the Peruvian question makes more sense: how did you have a guinea pig so long and never eat it?

On Sunday we boarded the bus and two Spanish-dubbed Sean-Claude Van Damme classics later, we were back in Lima.




4. She was just seventeen...

I've been hanging out recently with people from this Jesuit volunteer program that visits a soup kitchen in downtown Lima on Saturdays to play games with kids and make crafts. This past Saturday was their big Christmas party. There were games, a magician, and then a big presentaion of Christmas presents. Trying to keep order with 50 kids was like herding cats, but the kids had a great time and I enjoyed my first taste of Christmas in Lima.


The next day there was a big end-of-the-year party for all the volunteers, which I was invited to despite only volunteering for 2 weeks. Each volunteer group had to compete in a karaoke contest and my group thought it would be a good idea to exploit my knowledge of English by singing an English song. Despite my protests, I found myself before a group of strangers singing the Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There". To make matters worse, the music stopped working and the lyrics came up at about half speed. It was not pretty. But overall it was a real good time, and I'll probably be joining this Jesuit group again when they start up in March.


5. Work

Things at work have been going well. My job basically involves meeting with former-patients at the office as they plan their small businesses, going out with them to buy the supplies they need, and then checking in on the businesses every few weeks to see how things are going. I really like getting to go out in the field and meet with people where they work and live, and I'm learning a lot about a lot of different kinds of businesses (including shoemaking, leather tanning, street vending, cell phone renting, and moto-taxi driving). Although a few businesses have been struggling, it seems most of them have been pretty successful. It's amazing what a few hundred dollars in starting capital can do to jump-start a business.

I've also had the opportunity in the past few weeks to participate in some really interesting public health conferences. Two weeks ago Socios hosted a World Health Organization TB training, bringing TB experts from around the world to discuss policies and treatment challenges. I got to hear some really interesting talks about the current controversies in TB treatment and see how people approached the same problems in radically different settings (from Denver to rural Tanzania). This past week Socios hosted another TB conference, but this time with the Peruvian Ministry of Health and other doctors from Latin America. It was interesting because almost all the participants were doctors or nurses working with TB patients on a daily basis, and in discussing the issues they talked about human rights and the personal impact certain policies have had on their patients. Also, they've had some really good food at the conferences, and I got a free "Stop TB" polo shirt and computer bag.

My Spanish has been improving a lot at work, but I still make mistakes from time to time. Yesterday I brought lunch-time conversation to a halt when I tried to tell a co-worker that a patient moved ("se mudo") an accidentally told her that she died ("se murio"). My follow-up of, "I think she's in a better place now," didn't help to clarify things, but we eventually straightened it out, and I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again.


So that's a not-so-brief recount of the big stuff in my past 6 weeks here. I'll try to be better about updating in the future.

2 comments:

Eli said...

Glad you were plugged into the election. I of course watched from Cincinnati, Ohio - which at least for one night, felt like the center of America.

Americans have their own absurd hygienic practices. I wash my dishes, then leave them in the drying rack where my housemate's cat crawls all over them.

It sounds beautiful under the mountains.

Your work seems solid. Though I'm working to restore benefits to ex-offenders, I don't have much contact with ordinary people (just bureaucrats), and it drives me nuts.

benjamin bowman said...

jefe,

keep the updates coming!

your humor always makes me smile and it's great to hear what you've been up to.

do you have skype, by any chance? will you be visiting north anytime soon?

peace,
benja