Monday, September 29, 2008

A Deal's a Deal

In return for Kat setting up a blog detailing her Med School experiences, I agreed to make one about my time in Peru. After resisting Facebook and MySpace for years, I've finally entered the world of internet self-presentation. I guess it's all downhill from here.

After only two days in Lima, I'm not sure what to say, except that I'm working with Partners in Health , whose mission is to bring the fruits of scientific innovation in medicine to the poorest of the poor. I also wanted to attach this poem I read recently in Pathologies of Power, a book written by Paul Farmer, one of the founders of PIH. It highlights the troubling priorities that PIH seeks to correct.

Hasta luego...

The Earth is a Satellite of the Moon
Leonel Rugama (1949-1970)

Apollo 2 cost more than Apollo I
Apollo 1 cost plenty.

Apollo 3 cost more than Apollo 2
Apollo 2 cost more than Apollo I
Apollo I cost plenty.

Apollo 4 cost more than Apollo 3
Apollo 3 cost more than Apollo 2
Apollo 2 cost more than Apollo I
Apollo I cost plenty.

Apollo 8 cost a fortune, but no one minded
because the astronauts were Protestant
they read the Bible from the moon
astounding and delighting every Christian
and on their return Pope Paul VI gave them his blessing.

Apollo 9 cost more than all these put together
including Apollo 1 which cost plenty.

The great-grandparents of the people of Acahaulinca were less hungry than the grandparents.
The great-grandparents died of hunger.
The grandparents of the people of Acahaulinca were less hungry than the parents.
The grandparents died of hunger.
The parents of the people of Acahaulinca were less hungry than the children of the people there.
The parents died of hunger.

The people of Acahaulinca are less hungry than the children of the people there.
The children of the people of Acahaulinca, because of hunger, are not born
they hunger to be born, only to die of hunger.
Blessed are the poor for they shall inherit the moon.

No comments: